Thursday 8 August 2013

rewind the film once more

I wish I had never thrown away all my cassettes. It seemed such a great idea at the time. Amongst these C90's and C60's you would have found some interesting stuff. All lost, long decomposed, re-absorbed by nature in to mud and leaves. There was nothing more satisfying then getting a near-perfect recording off the radio. There was an art to making a playlist on a cassette. As much as we liked to pretend we made them for our friends, for me, they were nearly all for myself. But I can't afford to be too nostalgic about them. Tapes wore out. I wore them out fast. They broke easily. The horror of seeing all your music literally in tatters, trying to wind it all back in and ending up with music playing backwards. Actually, Coffee and TV by Blur sounds quite interesting backwards. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment